Hummus is Yummus!! We love love love hummus. It is such a staple in our diets. You can use it as a dip, and dunk veggies of all kinds, you can spread it on a wrap, or bread, for added protein, and flavor, or if you’re being a little extra naughty, you can smoother it on warm pita bread, or dip crunchy pretzels in it, and totally indulge.
Hummus is a great snack, because it’s high in protein, and will keep you full. It’s also great for anyone with food allergies, because it’s naturally gluten-free, nut free, and dairy free. The coolest thing about hummus, is you can really add anything to it, and play around with the flavors, and try new things.
Homemade hummus is so easy to make, and so much healthier than the store bought options- no fillers or extra crap. This makes a decent amount, and should last you through the week.
We are totally garlic obsessed, (luckily we both love it, or we would be in trouble- stinky stinky). Below is our roasted garlic hummus recipe. If you don’t love garlic as much as we do, only use 1 or 2 garlic cloves, and you’ll be good to go.
- 1 garlic bulb
- 2 15 oz cans of garbanzo beans- chickpeas
- 1/2 cup of tahini
- 1 tbs of olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon- you can add more if you like
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt- you can add more to taste later if you need to
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp of paprika
How to prepare:
- Cut garlic bulb in 1/2- leave garlic in peel. Place bulb in aluminum foil, and drizzle with a little olive oil, roast in oven for about 40 minutes, at 400 F
- Toss chickpeas into blender, add a splash of the juice from the can to add some liquid, so we don’t need to add a ton of olive oil- this cuts down on fat
- Mix roasted garlic, and all other ingredients into blender and blend until smooth and creamy